Wherever I am, the world comes after me.
It offers me its busyness. It does not believe that I do not want it.
Now I understand 
why the old poets of China went so far
and high 
into the mountains, then crept into the pale mist.
"The Old Poets of China" by Mary Oliver


  • An Area Studies, Interdisciplinary Approach to Studying the Philippines

    The Philippine Studies program of the Asian Center leading to an MA degree is designed to produce specialists with a broad and integrated comprehension of Philippine society, culture, political and socio-economic development, and external relations. Students can specialize in any of three areas: (1) Philippine Socio-Cultural Studies, (2) Philippine Foreign Relations, and (3) Philippine Development Studies.

    The Philippine Studies Program (PSP) continues to uphold Philippine Studies (Araling Filipino) as a distinct discipline. It includes the study of Filipino society and culture and its constituent ethnolinguistic groups. It also problematizes the distinct identity of Filipinos, helps produce specialists capable of identifying and studying Filipino or Philippine problems using multi and/or interdisciplinary approaches and methodologies, exposes students to different disciplinal perspectives and imparts a holistic approach to Philippine problems.

  •  Two Tracks: Thesis or NonThesis

    The Asian Center offers two tracks for its MA programs in Philippine Studies

    • Master of Arts in Philippine Studies (thesis track)

    • Master in Philippine Studies (nonthesis). 

    The non-thesis track entails more coursework. Please note that some PhD programs abroad, if not in the Philippines, require an M.A. thesis as part of the application process.

  •  Areas of Specialization

    Regardless of track, students must specialize on one of three areas.

      • Sociocultural Studies
      • Foreign Relations
      • Development Studies

    Please view the list of courses for each area of specialization in the "Coursework" tab on the left.

  •  Program of Study

    The program of study details the courses (required and electives) according to track and area of specialization.

     Master of Arts in Philippine Studies (Thesis)  Master in Philippine Studies (Nonthesis)
     Foreign Relations   Foreign Relations
     Development Studies   Development Studies
     Society and Culture  Society and Culture
  • Class Schedules

    Most classes meet on weekdays once a week for three hours from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

    Some courses are offered on Saturdays 

    • 8:30 a.m

    • 11:30 a.m.

    • 3:30 p.m.

    What these courses on Saturdays are depend on the teacher and the semester. There will be cases when working students will have to leave work earlier to attend weekday classes.

  •  Language Requirement

    Students are required to demonstrate competence in a Philippine language or any language required in or relevant to their area of specialization by:

    • Passing an examination from an accredited institution (show proof)

    • Completing 96 hours of language courses offered by the University or an accredited institution.

    Important Reminder

    Before taking any course, especially outside UP Diliman, please confirm first with the Office of the College Secretary to help ensure your planned course will indeed be credited.

  •  Comprehensive Examinations

    Upon completion of their course work, students must take a comprehensive examination. For students in the non thesis track, passing this exam is one step to qualifying for graduation. For those who are doing their thesis, passing the comprehensive exam is required before they can enroll in Philippine Studies (PS) 300 for their thesis. 

  • Thesis

    For those on the thesis track, passing the comprehensive exam is required before they can enroll in Philippine Studies (AS) 300 (thesis). View sample theses.

  • Can I shift from a thesis track to a non-thesis track, and vice versa?

    Any student in the Thesis Track (MAAS or MAPS) may be allowed to transfer to Non-Thesis Track (MAS or MPS) under the following conditions:

    ⦁ He/she writes a formal letter addressed to the Dean requesting permission to transfer, with the endorsement of the Program Adviser
    ⦁ He/she has completed less than eighteen (18) units of course work at the time he/she seeks transfer.

    A student under the Non-Thesis Track may transfer any time to the Thesis Track provided his/her request is favorably endorsed by the Program Adviser on the basis of intellectual capacity and aptitude for advanced research.

    Is there a maintaining grade?

    There is no GWA requirement in applying for the program. But starting 1st semester, Academic Year 2019–2020, students are required to maintain a GWA of 1.75 or better.

  • Contact Us

    For more information, you may contact the Office of the College Secretary at 8.981.8500 local 3578 or via email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Kindly look for Mr. Robert Silleza or Avel Golondrina.