Wherever I am, the world comes after me.
It offers me its busyness. It does not believe that I do not want it.
Now I understand 
why the old poets of China went so far
and high 
into the mountains, then crept into the pale mist.
"The Old Poets of China" by Mary Oliver

What is the coverage of the aptitude and essay exams?

The aptitude exam measures abstract reasoning, among others, while the essay section tests less for objective knowledge than for the depth and range of one's thinking, as well as writing aptitude (proper grammar, sentence structure, clear presentation of one's ideas, etc.). It would not hurt of course to do some reading.

When is the exam?

Schedule of the exam will be announced after you apply.

What is the Certificate of Transfer Credentials?

This can be obtained at the Registrar's Office of your university.

Do I need to submit a research plan even if I am on a non-thesis track?

The Research Plan is required even for applicants to the nonthesis track.

Is there GWA requirement to apply?

There is no GWA requirement for applications.

Is there a degree requirement to apply?

Any BA or BS degree is accepted.

Language Requirement?

Applicants do not need to have competency in any Asian languge when they apply. The language requirement only applies to students enrolled in our graduate programs.

Do I have to type or hand-write the application forms?

The application forms can be handwritten or typed/printed.

Can I ask someone to submit the application documents?

The requirements have to be submitted in person, either by you or by a representative, only on weekdays (excluding holidays or cancellation of work), 8 am to 12 noon, 1 pm to 5 pm.

Can I ask submit the application documents on weekdays?

Submissions of applications are accepted only on weekdays (excluding holidays or cancellation of work), 8 am to 5 pm.

Are there Saturday classes?

Not all classes will be offered on Saturdays, so there may be cases where working students have to leave early to attend classes on weekdays.

Is there a minimum number of units that I need to take per semester?

All students, except those in residency, must take at least 6 units per semester.

Can I shift from a thesis track to a non-thesis track, and vice versa?

Any student in the Thesis Track (MAAS or MAPS) may be allowed to transfer to Non-Thesis Track (MAS or MPS) under the following conditions:

⦁ He/she writes a formal letter addressed to the Dean requesting permission to transfer, with the endorsement of the Program Adviser
⦁ He/she has completed less than eighteen (18) units of course work at the time he/she seeks transfer.

A student under the Non-Thesis Track may transfer any time to the Thesis Track provided his/her request is favorably endorsed by the Program Adviser on the basis of intellectual capacity and aptitude for advanced research.

The Asian Center offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. The Center offers a Ph.D.  program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. For an overview of these graduate programs, click here. The Asian Center also publishes Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, the latest issue of which can be downloaded atthe journal's website. For other news and upcoming events at the Asian Center, click here.

For easier browsing, click "Admissions" on the main menu above.