Requirements: MA Programs @ UP Asian Center
- Fill out this online application form
- Formal letter of application addressed to the dean of the Asian Center. Please indicate full name.
- Original AND photocopy of transcript of records of undergraduate degree.* View guidelines regarding transcripts
- Curriculum vitae and duly accomplished Personal Data Form (see application forms tab)
- Duly accomplished Recommendation Form from 2 former professors (if non-working); and from 2 former professors and 1 employer (if working), to be submitted in sealed envelopes signed across the flap by the referee (see application forms tab)
- Application fee of PhP 100 for Filipino students and US$25 for foreign applicants, to be paid at the UP Cashier**
- Two (2) passport-sized photos
- Original AND photocopy of NSO Birth Certificate*
- NSO Marriage Certificate (for married female applicants)*
- Aptitude examination (to be scheduled and announced after the application period)
- Receipt for aptitude examination fee of PhP 150 to be paid at the UP Cashier (OCG Trust Acct. No. 9773900-499-450)
- Two essays (to be written in-house at the UP Asian Center), one autobiographical and one on substantive issues pertaining to studies of the Philippines/Asia.a
- Interview by the Asian Center Admissions Committee (for those who pass the aptitude examinations)
- Certificate of Transfer Credentials (for Non-UP Diliman applicants)b
- Research Plan (see application forms tab)c
Notes on Requirements
*Both original and photocopy will be submitted to the Asian Center.
a While it can help to read up on Asia- or Philippine-related issues and theories, both exams test less for objective knowledge than for the depth and range of one's thinking, as well as writing aptitude (proper grammar, sentence structure, clear presentation of one's ideas, etc.). Schedule of the exam will be announced after you apply.
b This can be obtained at the Registrar's Office of your university.
c Required even for applicants to the nonthesis track.
GWA or Degree Requirement?
There is no GWA requirement for applications. Any BA or BS degree is accepted.
Applicants do not need to have competency in any Asian languge when they apply. The language requirement only applies to students enrolled in our graduate programs.
Additional Requirements for Foreign Applicants
See "Foreign Applicants" tab, especially concerning requirements pertaining to the acquisition of student visa and compliance with immigration requirements.
For easier browsing, click "Admissions" on the main menu above.