The UP Asian Center is now accepting abstract submissions for the “Japanese Studies in the Philippines Research Development Competition: Year 6.” Undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in Philippine Universities may submit any topic related to Japanese Studies can be submitted (except topics that focus solely on natural sciences, medical sciences, and engineering).
This year’s competition shall consist of three parts: the proposal submission, research writing training workshop, and oral presentations.
PHASE 1: APPLICATION PERIOD
The application period will run from 25 September 2023 to 25 October 2023, 5:00 pm, PHT (GMT+8).
• Must be currently enrolled in a BA/BS, or an MA/MS/Ph.D. program in a Philippine university.
• Must be between 18 and 30 years old as of January 2024.
• Can fully participate in the activities of the competition, from the proposal submission, research training workshop, research paper writing, to oral presentation.
GENERAL PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
1. Any topic related to Japan can be submitted (except topics that focus solely on natural sciences, medical sciences, and engineering).
2. The abstract submission must be a maximum of 500 words and should contain the following parts:
• Title of the research
• Objectives of the study
• Related literature (cite at least five academic sources, theories and concepts that are relevant to proposed research)
• Methodology (briefly discuss the framework, details of data collection)
• List of References
3. Must be unpublished, solo-authored; and written in English or Filipino.
4. Must not be under consideration in another publication.
5. Format must be single-spaced, on an A4 size paper, using the latest APA citation style.
6. Must use size 12, Times New Roman font.
7. The deadline for the submission of proposals will be on 25 October 2023, 5:00 pm, PHT (GMT+8).
8. To submit the documents, fill out this online application form.
PHASE 2: RESEARCH WRITING WORKSHOP
• Authors of selected proposals (finalists) will be required to participate in a one-day writing workshop to be held between 4-9 December 2023, in co-hosting venues in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The venue and final schedule will be announced prior to the workshop.
• Participants who complete the workshop will receive a certificate of completion from the UP Asian Center.
PHASE 3: RESEARCH PAPER PRESENTATIONS FOR SHORTLISTED PROPOSALS
• All finalists will be required to do an oral presentation during a public forum in March 2024. The presentation must not exceed 15 minutes.
• Failure to present their papers means ineligibility for the competition prizes. Presentations by proxies are not allowed.
COMPETITION PRIZES AND PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITY
• The most well-developed research papers will be judged as winners of the competition.
• Winners will get the latest Apple iPad from the Japan Foundation Manila.
• All finalists will have the chance to publish in the Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
The research competition is organized by the UP Asian Center. It aims to encourage Japan-related research among Filipino students, to disseminate knowledge, and exchange perspectives on Japanese Studies.
The Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The UP Asian Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. It also offers a Ph.D. program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. For an overview of these graduate programs, click here. As an area studies institution, the Asian Center also publishes Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, the latest issue of which can be downloaded at the journal's website. For other news and upcoming events at the Asian Center, click here.