Look back into history as UP Diliman celebrates its “Arts and Culture Month,” with the theme “Lakad-Gunita sa Lupang Hinirang,” from 11 February – 29 March 2019. The celebrations feature a play an exhibit, film screenings, and walking tours that highlight the nation’s sense of memory and notions of place.
The UPD Arts and Culture month “commemorates the 70th year of the University’s move from its 10-hectare original site in Ermita, Manila to its 493-hectare campus in Diliman.”
PAG-ALALA AT PAGLULUNSAD
- (11 February 2019; 6 PM; Oblation Plaza, UP Diliman)
- The opening program of the UP Diliman Arts and Culture Month “stages the most significant events in UP for the past 70 years and revisits the significance of the Oblation” through a creative performance “centered around… Exodus (Pag-alis sa Lugar), Home (Paghubog ng Tahanan), Activism (Lakaran), and New Directions (Liwasan).”
LUPANG HINIRANG: MGA KWENTO NG PAGSASALUGAR NG UP DILIMAN | A FREE EXHIBIT
- 15 February – 29 March 2019; 10 AM – 4:30 PM; Bulwagan ng Dangal, UP Diliman
- The exhibit highlights the “issue of place—including notions of emplacement and displacement” and presents narratives of UP Diliman as an “active heritage site” and “a place of dwelling, learning and acting/doing by the…UP community.” It looks into the context of “the relationship of history, people, site, structures, sound, and material culture” in UP’s history over the “last 70 years.”
- The forum, “Memories and History of UP Manila and UP Diliman,” which features “research work from UP scholars,” will be held on the last day of the exhibit.
PAG-UNLAD AT PAG-ANI: NATIONAL CONFERENCE TO COMMEMORATE 70 YEARS OF UP DILIMAN
- 22 February 2019; 8 AM – 4 PM; NISMED Auditorium, UP Diliman
- The conference explores “the concept of place and history… to reverberate to local, national and global issue s” through reflections from “renowned academics of UP Diliman:” historian Reynaldo Ileto, National Artists Bienvenido Lumbera and Ramon Santos, National Scientist Edgardo Gomez, Professor Emeritus Randy David, Professor Ricardo Jose, and Professor (retired) Belen Medina.
- The personal and academic talks in the conference engage…these academics to showcase “how their education and experience in Diliman brought the consciousness of the country…into their lives and how in turn their lives became an oblation.”
“NANA ROSA” | A PLAY BASED ON THE LIFE OF ROSA HENSON
- 20 February 2019 – 10 March 2019; 7 PM every Wednesday to Friday, and 10 AM and 3 PM every Saturday and Sunday; Wilfrido Ma. Guerrero Theater, Palma Hall, UP Diliman
- Highlighting the human spirit’s struggle and survival, the play “explores the theme of displacement—both physical and psychological—” from Henson’s experience as a youth in Pampanga to her “capture” by the Japanese forces during World War II. The play then recounts her coming out publicly as a comfort woman, and her experiences after breaking her silence.
- “Nana Rosa” is written by award-winning playwright and Rody Vera and directed by José Estrella. Regular ticket price is Php 500.
TAHAN(AN): PISTA PELIKULA | FREE FILM SCREENINGS
- (1, 8 and 15 March 2019; 4 PM and 7 PM; Cine Adarna, UP Diliman
- The film screenings feature “themes of displacement and emplacement” and discourses…” of transfer and migration, as well a sense of place” in the university and the nation.
- The lineup of films include “Tu Pug Imatuy” (Arbi Barbarona), which “highlights issues of displacement in Mindanao;” “Pureza” (Jay Abello), which “features how the sugar industry has been emplaced in the small province island” of Negros; and "Tundong Magiliw” (Jewel Maranan), which “immerses” the audience into a “home” where the international port is located.”
WALKING TOURS | FREE
- (February – March 2019; UP Diliman)
- The free walking tours presents UP Diliman’s “rich history and environment” by engaging the public through narratives drawing from “memory (Diliman Commune and martial law), architecture (buildings and spaces), public art (art trail), and the flora (plants and trees) and fauna (birds)” in the campus. View tour schedule.
HIMIGSIKAN | FREE OPEN-AIR CONCERT
- 24 February 2019; 6 PM; UP Theater Canopy
- Held since 1999, Himigsikan is an open-air concert that features “a range of Filipino music” and performances which serve as a platform of unity among the UP community. This year’s featured band is Freestyle.
ABOUT THE UP DILIMAN ARTS AND CULTURE MONTH 2019
The UP Diliman Arts and Culture Month is organized by the UPD Office for Initiatives in Culture and the Arts (OICA), in cooperation with various colleges in UP Diliman. Read more.
Please note that schedules may be subject to change without prior notice. Kindly consult the OICA Facebook page above to confirm the schedules.
The Asian Center offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. The Center offers a Ph.D. program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. For an overview of these graduate programs, click here. The Asian Center also publishes Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, the latest issue of which can be downloaded at the journal's website.
The UP Asian Center will be holding a rountable, "Regional Integration and Cooperation in Asia," on 14 November 2019, 3–5 pm, at the UP Asian Center, QC. The event is free and open to the public.
The UP Asian Center will hold "Ikebana as Sustainable Art: A Lecture and Demonstration on Japanese Traditional Flower Arrangement" on 13 November 2019, 1–2:30 pm at the ASEAN Hall, UP Asian Center, QC. The event is free and open to the public.
The UP Asian Center will hold "Tumandok: Showcasing West Visayan Culture through Films" on 12 November 2019, 8:30 am –12 nn at the ASEAN Hall, UP Asian Center, QC. The screenings are free and open to the public.
The UP Asian Center is organizing a roundtable, Southeast Asia and Industry 4.0, on 11 November, 9 am to 11 am, ASEAN Hall, UP Asian Center, QC. The roundtable is free and open to the public. Seating is first-come, first-served, but participants are encouraged to sign up.