Ph.D. in History, Leiden University
Room 204, Hall of Wisdom
Indonesian Studies • Colonial and Maritime History • Philippine History • Southeast Asian History
- Ph.D. in History, Leiden University, Netherlands, 2018
- Research MA (MPhil) in History, Leiden University, Netherlands, 2012
- Advanced BA in History, Leiden University, Netherlands, 2010
- BA in History, University of the Philippines Diliman, 2007
- Indonesian Studies
- Colonial and Maritime History
- Philippine History
- Southeast Asian History
- AS 253 Readings on Southeast Asia II - Island Southeast Asia
- AS 202 The East-West Encounter
- AS 250 Seminar on Southeast Asia
- AS 298 Maritime Connections: Asia and the Pacific
- PS 201 The Philippines in Asia and the Pacific
- PS 204 Philippine Institutions and Social Movements
- Kasaysayan (Kas) 1: Kasaysayan ng Pilipinas (Philippine History)
- Kasaysayan (Kas) 2: Ang Asya at and Daigdig (Asia and the World)
- Kas 100: Introduction to World Civilizations
- Kas 116: Philippine Nationalism
- SEA 30: Asian Emporiums: Networks of Culture and Trade in Southeast Asia
2020. Philippine Confluence: Iberian, Chinese, and Islamic Currents, c. 1500–1800. Leiden: Leiden University Press. (Co-editor: Jos Gommans).
Forthcoming. "Towards Cross-Cultural Understanding: The Contributions of Toyota Motors Philippines to Culture." In Toyota in the Philippines: 30 Years and Beyond in Nation-Building, edited by Joefe B. Santarita, 187–220. Quezon City: Toyota Philippines and Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman.
2018. "Kinship, Islam, and Raiding in Maguindanao, c. 1760-1780." In Warring Societies of Pre-Colonial Southeast Asia: Local Cultures of Conflict Within a Regional Context, edited by Michael Charney and Kathryn Wellen. Copenhagen: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies.
2014. "An Exploration into the Political Background of the Maguindanao ‘piracy’ in the Early Eighteenth century." In Piracy and Surreptitious Activities in the Malay Archipelago and Adjacent Seas, 1600-1840, edited by Y. H. Teddy Sim, 105–20. Singapore: Springer.
2019. "The Dutch Archives and Maguindanao History in the 18th Century." Journal of Philippine Local History and Heritage 5 (1, February): 173–205.
2010. "Of Arms and Strategy: Piracy and the Netherlands Indies Government." Review of Indonesian and Malaysian Affairs 44 (1): 191–222.
Essays and Reviews
2020. “Introduction.” In Philippine Confluence: Iberian, Chinese, and Islamic Currents, c. 1500-1800, edited by Jos Gommans and Ariel Lopez, 9–23. Leiden: Leiden University Press (co-authors, Jos Gommans and Isaac Donoso).
2018. "Editor's note." Philippine Social Sciences Review 70 (1): i–ii.
2014. "Traversing the Malay-Indonesian World: An Interview with Leonard Andaya." Itinerario: International Journal on the History of European Expansion and Global Interaction 38 (1): 7–12. (Co-author: Kathryn Anderson Wellen)
2011. "Review of Hayden White: The Historical Imagination by Herman Paul." Social Science Diliman [University of the Philippines] 7 (2): 101–04.
QUICK LINKS: ASIAN CENTER FACULTY